The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together promising female leaders from Rwanda, and East Africa, for an innovative two-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Akilah students choose a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, or Hospitality Management. Our hands-on and practicals-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local and global private sectors, and is focused on building the market-relevant skills demanded by the fastest growing industries of the regional economy.
The Deputy Country Director (DCD) will work closely with the Country Director (CD) to lead and ensure the the day-to-day management of all departments on campus in line with organizational strategy, and departmental work plans. The DCD will be a model of organizational cultural excellence within the organization, representing Akilah Institute as an inspirational ambassador both internally and externally. S/he should be an excellent communicator, leader, as well as project manager, with absolute attention to detail, following through on implementation of all tasks assigned by the CD and achieving the goal. The DCD will manage External Relations, increasing visibility and maintaining and building key relationships with stakeholders locally, regionally and globally. S/he will demonstrate a deep understanding of the Institute’s departmental goals, projects and tasks, gradually freeing up the Country Director to focus on more strategic matters. Finally, the ideal candidate is someone who is extremely passionate about women’s economic empowerment and who will go above and beyond to make a serious and lasting impact on the lives of East African women.
Leadership & Culture
- Master the necessary skills and responsibilities related to the Country Director (CD) position in order to provide proper and efficient support, and assume responsibility during CD absences.
- Model, enforce and play lead role in promoting the organizational culture to inspire and motivate staff, students, community partners.
- Anticipate campus needs related to staff, resources and students; proactively build strategy around such needs; and troubleshoot resourcefully.
Management of External Relations
- Elevate Akilah’s image and reputation in the local community by personally being on the front lines; forge and maintain relationships with local stakeholders for strategic partnerships and funding opportunities.
- Represent Akilah at meetings/events/conferences and strategically work with local government officials and community members.
- Manage the Itorero Program at Akilah in alignment with the National Itorero Commission, Rwanda Ministry of Education guidelines and agreed performance contract.
- Build strong relationships with the Local Akilah Advisory Council.
- Host visiting donors and stakeholders ensuring effective visits that meet the Akilah Visit Standard.
Administration and Operations
- General oversight and coordination of all Akilah internal events as well as external events in which Akilah participate in, ensuring community visibility to support Akilah brand.
- Ensure preparation of timely and high quality grant report as well as general reports for both internal and external use.
- Assist the CD in the planning and design of the annual work plan and budget; track departmental progress on a periodic basis and report on a trimester basis to the CD and Executive Team.
- Brief leadership with key information about country’s strategic priority shift, new policies
- and key data to ensure consistent alignment with country’s guidelines and requirements.
- Ensure smooth and cost effective campus operations through the prudent use of funds, assets, resources and equipment. Must have a savings (not spending) mindset.
- Perform any other projects as assigned by CD.
CHARACTERISTICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Genuine passion for women’s empowerment and results.
- Outstanding communicator; clear and sharp.
- Achievement oriented, superior attention to detail and comfort operating in a fast-paced environment with accountability to results.
- Ability to effectively lead a team directly as well as earn trust and accountability from colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise both individual and collaborative decision-making.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation and written skills.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution related to business administration, project management or related degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 3- 5+ years of relevant experience in management, operations and administration. Private, public, and non-profit backgrounds are all valued. The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.
Position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Local hire preferred. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally if required.
The Country Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 15, 2016
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please type the title of the position followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “Deputy Country Director—Isimbi, Melissa”).