Development Intern (Spring Part-Time position available)
Reports to: Senior Development Associate + Operations Associate
The Akilah Institute for Women is looking for a Development Intern to help us achieve our fundraising goals. The Akilah Institute for Women is an accredited women’s college in Rwanda offering diploma programs in Entrepreneurship, Hospitality Management and Information Systems – all high-growth sectors in East Africa. The Development Intern is not required to have fundraising experience, but a general interest in fundraising for a non-profit is desirable. We are looking for an intern who can work 10-15 hours per week through the Spring, with the opportunity to extend through the Summer and Fall depending on fit and interest.
The Development Intern will support New York City development staff in all fundraising efforts. We are a small but mighty team comprised of a Director of Capital and Growth, Strategic Partnerships Manager and Senior Development Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize fundraising prospects list and documentation systems;
- Research possible funding and grant opportunities, as well as potential donors;
- Support donor cultivation – assisting with managing and tracking relationships with current and prospective donors, setting up donor meetings, drafting thank you notes and follow-ups;
- Help to support and successfully execute fundraising strategies, activities, and events
- Assist with the development of fundraising materials
- Track past and current fundraising activity on Salesforce
- Assist with unique marketing and communications materials to drive engagement with new and existing donors and partners
- Other development activities as directed
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to work under deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Good computer skills;
- Ability to prioritize workload; and,
- Editing skills.
- Professional development opportunities – you will be able to attend trainings and meetings related to nonprofit management and fundraising
- Exposure to the inner-workings of a rapidly growing international nonprofit
- Flexible schedule
Our office is based in Brooklyn, NY. This is an unpaid position.
Deadline: December 31, 2016.