Computers, babies, Burundi expansion, Clinton Global Initiative, and graduation.
2013 was a big year. Here are 22 of our most memorable moments!
1. We outgrew our old campus! Akilah moves into a larger location in Kibagabaga, Kigali.
2. Founders Elizabeth and Dave welcome baby Lorraine into the world. More>>
3. Akilah receives a record number of applications. 1,500 students from around the country apply, and finalists are selected to come to campus for entrance exams. Less than 10% are accepted.
4. Akilah student Nadine Niyitegeka travels to Hong Kong and Malaysia to represent Akilah at fundraising events and the Women Deliver conference. More>>
5. 17 Akilah graduates from the Class of 2012 complete their Foundations of Leadership training with Marriott International in Dubai. More>>
6. Akilah graduate Florence Mukundwa (Class of 2012) continues to grow her business, Aniflo, which uses local fabrics to manufacture clothing for children and women in East Africa.
7. The Akilah team in Burundi signs a lease on a campus and begins renovation work, in preparation for the January 2014 opening. More>>
8. Akilah receives accreditation from the Rwandan government. More>>
9. The Akilah staff and faculty spend two days at an offsite team retreat to discuss academics and strategy. Meet the Akilah team>>
10. Akilah welcomes new Principal, Catherine Heaton (left). Meet the Akilah team>>
11. The first class of students in the Information Systems major begin courses. More>>
12. Graduates Clementine and Joselyne (Class of 2012) return to Rwanda from Dubai, where they are completing a management training program with Marriott International, to visit their mothers.
13. Student Vestine Ukwishaka wins 1st place in a business plan competition at the University of San Diego. Her business is a bakery that uses sweet potato flour instead of refined sugars. More>>
14. Entrepreneurship students start their 2nd year of courses, studying topics such as Entrepreneurial Thinking, and Public Speaking. More>>
15. Students campaign for posts in the Akilah Student Guild and the new student government ministers are sworn in. More>>
16. The Segal Family Foundation makes a commitment at the Clinton Global Initiative to help Akilah open its Burundi campus, and the Akilah Burundi team meets some neighbors on a street next to our new building in Bujumbura. More>>
17. Akilah Executive Director Lisa Lamprecht celebrates her birthday at the Metropolitan Safari event in Boston with students Cecile and Julian. More>>
18. CEO Elizabeth, Julian, and Cecile appear on VOA radio and TV to discuss Akilah. More>>
20. Akilah students receive sports uniforms, sneakers, and Akilah t-shirts from our wonderful donor Enee Abelman in St. Petersburg, Florida. More>>
21. Rica Rwigamba, Head of Tourism & Conservation at the Rwanda Development Board, talks to Akilah students about Opportunities In Today’s Rwanda, part of Akilah’s three-day campus speaker series during 2013 Global Entrepreneurship Week.
22. Fifty-six students graduate from Akilah and launch their careers! More>>