The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together promising female leaders from Rwanda, and East Africa, for an innovative two-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles.
Akilah students choose a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, and Hospitality Management. Our hands-on and practicals-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local and global private sectors, and is focused on building the market-relevant skills demanded by the fastest growing industries of the regional economy.
The Business and Entrepreneurship Instructor will be required to perform to the best of his/her abilities all assigned duties specifically including, without limitation, the following:
- Effectively deliver Business and Entrepreneurship related courses to Akilah learners as per Akilah Standard.
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons to all students in the class
- Provide ongoing feedback on the effectiveness of the Entrepreneurship curriculum to the Academic Director and Chief Academic Officer. Provide input and recommendations on how to successfully adapt the Business and Entrepreneurship curriculum for cultural and situational relevance.
- Ensure that students provide course evaluations at the end of each trimester by scheduling with students to complete this requirement.
- Create,, invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams.
- Ensure marking/grading and reporting of students’ performance is carried out in a regular, timely manner and as per the deadlines set by Akilah.
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback on their performance.
- Ensure students’ attendance is recorded by period daily via the Student Management System. Alert the Academic Director and Dean of Students regarding particular student attendance issues for effective and appropriate timely management.
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah regulations as per the Student Handbook policies.
- Perform other duties including, but not limited to, meeting with students who have academic challenges, providing tutoring and additional instruction, and providing encouragement to students.
- Adhere to and observe all policies as detailed in the Akilah Employee Handbook and Faculty Handbook.
- Dedicate 4-6 hours of time weekly to the Incubation Center
- Teach any other related courses as per the need of the Institute.
- Accept additional assignments and projects, as needed. Meet deadlines and provide deliverables as per Academic Director’s instructions.
CHARACTERISTICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instructs a learner centered classroom
- Creates a learning environment where students are active participants as individuals and as members of collaborative groups
- Uses a number of strategies and activities during instruction
- Encourages use of technology in the classroom
- Develops lessons with a focus on practical application and real world knowledge
- Emphasis on students mastering objectives with higher order critical thinking skills
- Open and committed to ongoing personal professional development
- High expectations for students
- Flexible, innovative and collaborative
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution related to Business management, and Entrepreneurship.
- 2+ years of relevant experience instructing business and entrepreneurship courses
- Experience using a variety of teaching methods
- English fluency in both verbal and written skills
- Experience instructing Accounting preferred
- Position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Must be able to travel both domestically and
Internationally if required.
- Academic Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 15, 2016
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, language abilities, salary requirements, and how you learned of the position should be sent to: email@example.com.
Please type the title of the position followed by your name (Last, First) as the subject line of your email (e.g. “Business and Entrepreneurship Instructor — Isimbi, Melissa”). Emails without all this information WILL not be reviewed.