Position: Business Instructor (Entrepreneurship Program)
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment, full time
Reports to: Academic Director
The future of peace and stability in East Africa lies in the hands of young women who have the leadership skills and wisdom to create jobs and build businesses that will lift their communities out of poverty. In East Africa, 85% of women work in subsistence agriculture, living on less than $2 per day. Furthermore, only 1% of the population enters university, and less than one-third of those students are female. We believe that educating young women is simply the wisest and most effective investment a developing country can make.
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising female leaders from Rwanda and Burundi for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Akilah will graduate 1,000 students by the year 2020. In 2015, Akilah will enroll a total over 500 students on two campuses. Our hands-on and project-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local private sector. Students start with a foundational year of English, math and leadership immersion before choosing a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems (IS), or Hospitality Management. Students graduate with the market-relevant skills required for meaningful employment in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
Akilah is searching for an industry expert for the position of Business Instructor. The Entrepreneurship Program is a new addition to the diploma opportunities of Akilah Institute for Women. Thus, the candidate will add substantial knowledge and expertise to this new program course. This individual will be responsible for teaching general business and entrepreneurship courses at Akilah Kigali campus. The ideal candidate for this position has teaching experience and a business background.
• Deliver general business and entrepreneurship classes to Akilah learners
• Invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams
• Deliver all classes in compliance with Akilah’s learning pedagogy
• Update all necessary academic records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations
• Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback
• Prepare required reports on students and activities
• Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah rules and procedures
• Perform other duties including but not limited to counseling students with academic challenges and providing student encouragement
• Assist Akilah in the launching of incubation centers for student run businesses
• Support students as they develop business plans and ideas
• Make necessary recommendations to the management regarding improvements to the overall entrepreneurship environment at Akilah
• Assist in the development of new curriculum
• Assist with special events, campus activities, etc. as needed
Career Growth and Development:
Akilah invests in significant professional development opportunities for all team members. Due to rapid growth of the organization, we regularly have new roles opening up and there are many opportunities for career development and growth.
• 2-3 years of experience in a teaching/training position, particularly in higher education
• Experience delivering a variety of business related courses
• Master’s Degree preferred – in Entrepreneurship or related fields
• Experience in business start ups preferred
• Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
• Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
• Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
• Strong organizational & time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.