Position: Campus Counselor, Burundi
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment, full-time
This position is only open to fluent speakers of Kinyarwanda or Kirundi.
Akilah Institute for Women is searching for an energetic candidate for the position of Counselor. Akilah offers a psychosocial group program for students, provides one on one counseling and extra curricular activities to build the student body community. The counseling program is meant to harness and utilize the multicultural aspects of the student body, so as to create a well-rounded and integrated student environment unlimited by prejudice, gender bias, religious limitations, ethnocentrism or racism. The Counselor’s overall mission is to foster vision and effectiveness of student development services. The psychological aspect caters for the development of holistically productive programs that enable students to realize their fullest intellectual and personal potential.
In order to achieve the above, the Counselor works with and fosters the student interests while ensuring a mutually beneficial relationship between all stakeholders (academic staff, administrative staff, support staff and the student body) within and outside of the Institute.
The Burundi campus opened in January 2014 and will begin classes in April 2014. This is Akilah’s first campus outside of Rwanda. Candidates should be interested in working in a dynamic environment of a growing institution. This position is part-time with the intention of increasing to full time in December 2014 or earlier.
- Foster and model an atmosphere of mutual respect, caring, collective engagement, accountability, and personal growth in a community of exceptional talent and diversity.
- Liaise with other women’s development programs and organizations in order to enable girl friendly initiatives and women’s empowerment projects.
- Coordinate student activities and support and advise all students on a broad base of developmental milestone acquisitions. Students may speak with the counselor about an issue or concern.
- Provide psychological services to all campus members through Group, individual, triads and psychosocial methodologies. Provide coaching in life skills, self-awareness, self development approaches and their meaningful application to real life.
- In partnership with Admissions and the Principal, oversee New Student Orientation and fosters the visibility and student awareness of all available resources meant to help students take a proactive responsibility for their own educational experiences.
- Identify and apply increasingly effective ways to help highly motivated students manage the sometimes intense demands of their academic work.
- Interact with academic staff to identify students with academic challenges and provide them with appropriate support structure.
- Organize and facilitate workshops for the campus to foster development of members of the campus while acting as a support structure to academic growth on the campus.
- Provide Individual counseling of students and staff members, with observance of a strict and diligent code of conduct especially in relation to Non-malfeasance.
- Offer emotional guidance and support to individual students; provide academic support counseling for student performance management.
- Provide both trauma and grief counseling for trauma victims, with respect to their needs and with due diligence observed.
- Launch and manage the mentoring program, from Big Sisters to external mentoring.
- When the position is increased to full time, expand extra curricular activities that encourage personality development and self-awareness. This may include sports clubs, prayer groups, reading club, debate club, entertainment, Anti SIDA, etc.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Masters or Bachelors degree in Social Work (or related fields)
- A minimum of 3 years of counseling or social work experience
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Basic ICT skills (Word, excel, PowerPoint, internet use)
- Professional observance of code of conduct and respect of client confidentiality.
- Impartiality and objectivity
- Adept empowerment and facilitation skills
- Proficient Anger management skills and trainer.
- Good grasp of Emotional Intelligence applications and meditation training.
- Articulate and active listener.
- Very good with social and emotional cue reading and management.
- Fluency in the local dialect.
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah.
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Understanding of culture and history in Burundi.
Competitive compensation, health insurance, campus crèche, gym membership, generous PTO, 1 annual round-trip flight to home country