The Communications Internship is an opportunity to develop communications skills, support social enterprise in East Africa, and make an immediate and meaningful impact on the Akilah Group’s communications strategy.
The Akilah Group is a collection of social enterprises leveraging innovative education models and technology to achieve transformational change in African communities. The Communications Intern will primarily be working for two of the Akilah Group’s companies, MindSky and Kigali Moms and Dads.
MindSky is a technology platform for high-quality professionals, connecting them with the most exciting client-facing jobs in East Africa. MindSky delivers a vetted pool of responsive candidates so employers spend less time on recruitment and ensures that they find top talent to join their teams and grow their businesses.
Kigali Moms and Dads is a new online resource featuring helpful guides on local schools, activities, and events for parents living in Kigali. Kigali Moms and Dads celebrates the wonderful experience of raising a family in Rwanda.
We’re a small, fast-paced organization looking for someone ready to invest their time and energy into learning and gaining experience quickly; no coffee runs here!
Position: Communications Intern
Status: Unpaid, Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Start Date: May 2017
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
In this role, you will gain:
You’ll gain exposure to multiple career paths in communications, including marketing, strategic communications, media relations, and more, in a fast-paced environment. Interact closely with local businesses and parents in Kigali, Rwanda and increase your cultural understanding of life in East Africa
You’ll work closely with the Communications Director and learn how our communications team effectively supports a global organization. Learn from experienced social enterprise and startup professionals and play a significant role in the day-to-day operations of MindSky and a leading role in the development of Kigali Moms and Dad.
The Communications Intern will be responsible for supporting Communications staff on projects for MindSky and Kigali Moms and Dads. The Intern will primarily be supporting the communications team in spearheading social media and new blog content development, as well as independently working on special projects and business development for Kigali Moms and Dads.
- Kigali Moms and Dads
- Draft regular blog posts to support website traffic
- Share blog posts on Facebook and manage social media traffic
- Track, measure, and report on audience engagement with website, e-mail, and social media
- Send out weekly e-mails to newsletter subscribers
- Lead on outreach over email and in person to local Kigali businesses for advertising and partnership opportunities
- Manage social media accounts
- Support Talent Team with communications and marketing to receive applications for open jobs
- Create Job Spotlights to highlight new open positions
- Social media analytics
- Boost Facebook posts where appropriate
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Must have, or be in the process of obtaining, a BA degree, certificate, or diploma
- Excellent with computers; Experience with graphic design program (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or other similar program) and Squarespace preferred
- Knowledge of various social media sites and platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Superior writing skills
- Attention to detail and ability to time-manage
- Project management
- Demonstrated interest in international development, social enterprise, startups
This position is an unpaid internship. Akilah Group can complete the necessary paperwork for the intern to earn college credit for their time working at Akilah Group.