The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together promising female leaders from Rwanda, and East Africa, for an innovative two-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles.
Akilah students choose a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, or Hospitality Management. Our hands-on and practicals-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local and global private sectors, and is focused on building the market-relevant skills demanded by the fastest growing industries of the regional economy.
The Deputy Country Director (DCD) will work with the Country Director (CD) to lead and ensure the daily management of all departments in line with the organizational strategy and departmental work plans. The DCD will be a model of organizational cultural excellence within the organization, representing Akilah Institute as an inspirational ambassador both internally and externally. S/he should be a strong leader, clear communicator as well as an excellent project manager with great attention to detail, following through on implementation of all tasks assigned by the CD. S/he will demonstrate a deep understanding of the Institute’s departmental goals, projects and tasks, freeing up the Country Director to focus on more strategic matters. Finally, the ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about women’s economic empowerment and who will go above and beyond to make a lasting impact in the lives of East African women.
Leadership & Culture
- Master the necessary skills and responsibilities related to the Country Director (CD) position in order to provide proper and efficient leadership support, assuming responsibility during CD absences.
- Model, enforce and play a lead role in promoting the organizational culture to inspire and lead staff, students and community partners.
- Provide sound judgment and strategic thinking, in order to collaborate with department leads on the development and implementation of effective strategies, operational plans and responses to challenges that arise.
- Anticipate departmental campus needs related to systems and resources; proactively build strategy around such needs; and troubleshoot resourcefully.
Administration and Operations
- Manage and oversee Akilah staff to ensure institutional goals and objectives are met and being carried out effectively. Ensure effective reporting and briefings to the CD as well as the Executive Team as needed.
- Collaborate with the CD in the planning and preparation of the annual work plan/OKRs and budget; Ensure effective tracking and reporting of departmental progress towards annual goals set.
- Oversee operations in a way that realizes the organizational mission, ensures excellence and encourage innovation; Ensure efficient and cost effective campus operations through the prudent use of funds, assets, resources and equipment. Must have a savings (not spending) mindset.
- Assess administrative and management systems, facilities and use of resources; apply effective business practices to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Coordination of Akilah internal events as well as external events in which Akilah participate in, ensuring community visibility to support Akilah brand.
- Represent Akilah at external facing events and meetings as required.
- Manage the Itorero Program at Akilah in alignment with the National Itorero Commission, Rwanda
- Ministry of Education guidelines and agreed performance contract.
- Perform any other projects as assigned by the Country Director.
Characteristics & Responsibilities
- Detailed oriented- and a strong implementation focus- a real “can do person” with strong accountability to results.
- Proven skills and experience in planning, operations, organizational and financial management
- Flexibility and willingness to pivot and adapt in a fast paced environment- a belief in a lean approach- learning from failures and mistakes as much as from success.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to think strategically.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise both individual and collaborative decision-making.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation and written skills.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution related to business administration, project management or related degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 3- 5+ years of relevant experience in management, operations and administration. Private, public, and non-profit backgrounds are all valued.
- The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.
This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Local hire preferred. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally if required.
Reports to: Country Director
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis