Position: Development Associate
Location: New York City
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment, full-time
Start Date: November 2015
Context: The future of peace and stability in East Africa lies in the hands of young women who have the leadership skills and wisdom to create jobs and build businesses that will lift their communities out of poverty. In East Africa, 85% of women still work in subsistence agriculture, living on less than $2 per day. Furthermore, only 1% of the population enters university, and less than one-third of those students are female. We believe that educating young women is simply the wisest and most effective investment a developing country can make.
Organization: The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising young women from Rwanda and Burundi for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Our hands-on, project-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local private sector. Students start with a foundational year of English, math and leadership immersion before choosing a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems (IS), or Hospitality Management. Students graduate with the market-relevant skills required for meaningful employment in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
The Position: Akilah seeks a Development Associate to be an integral part of the capital and growth team responsible for driving new opportunities for Akilah and enabling the organization to meet its funding and financial targets.
Compensation: A remuneration appropriate to the position will be discussed with the candidate. Benefits include 401k, health insurance, annual trip to East Africa.
Development & Events:
- Support donor cultivation and fundraising, including stewarding new community members; acknowledgements; managing meetings and phone calls; daily email & print correspondence; student scholarship program; and more
- Provide administrative support to the Strategic Partnerships Manager, including scheduling and calendar maintenance; travel arrangements; meeting and conference call coordination; expense report preparation
- Conduct database entry in Salesforce with the desire and capability to grow skillset
- Lead the planning and execution of all fundraising events with the supervision of the Strategic Partnerships Manager, including managing guest lists and attendee communication; vendor/service relationships; event follow-up and more
- Act as a liaison and guide to visiting Akilah students and graduates during fundraising tours
- Draft communications and marketing material as required
Development & Grant Writing:
- Manage, proof, and be the lead writer for all grant submissions, applications, concept notes and reports
- Track all submitted grants and supply required reports for successful awards/funding
- Research and organize prospective donors and foundations and maintain documentation system
- Create donor communications materials as needed (blog posts, MailChimp emails, 1-pagers, personal correspondence, etc.)
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 2 years work experience
- Strong demonstrated grant writing experience and/or capabilities
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional organization and project management skills
- Ability to work independently and with multiple deadlines
- A team player who would thrive in a startup like environment
- Outstanding computer skills – Microsoft Office mastery mandatory, Adobe Creative Suite/design software and Salesforce experience a plus
- Passion for Akilah and demonstrated interest in international development, women’s empowerment, and education
Please email your CV and cover letter to Charlotte Candau at firstname.lastname@example.org