Reports to: Academic Director
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment, full-time
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising female leaders from East Africa for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles.
Akilah is searching for an energetic candidate for the position of English/Leadership Instructor. Reporting to the Academic Director, this Instructor will play a lead role in ensuring smooth and effective delivery of the English curriculum. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative teacher.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Masters Degree preferred – in English relevant field (English, Literature, Linguistics, TESOL) and/or Leadership related subjects.
- A minimum of 3 years professional teaching experience of English and/or Leadership.
- Special capabilities (e.g., ESL management, supervisory experience, IT, program assessment, community engagement, Human Resources) also valued.
- Willing to engage students in many methods of instruction – individual and team based learning, small groups and large groups.
- Comfortable including visual, auditory and kinesthetic components into the classroom.
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to adapt curriculum for cultural and situational relevance.
- Able to create materials and prepare of lesson plans for beginners and intermediate English speakers.
- Planning and marking of homework, group work, tests and exams
- Invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams.
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback.
- Attend staff meetings and/ or workshops arranged by Akilah management
- Play an active role in the life of Akilah.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations.
- Prepare required reports on students and activities.
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah rules & procedures.
- Perform other duties including but not limited to counseling students with academic challenged and providing student encouragement.
Deadline to apply: February 15