Position: Hospitality Management Instructor
Reports to: Academic Director
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Duration: 2-year minimum commitment, full-time
The future of peace and stability in East Africa lies in the hands of young women who have the leadership skills and wisdom to create jobs and build businesses that will lift their communities out of poverty. In East Africa, 85% of women work in subsistence agriculture, living on less than $2 per day. Furthermore, only 1% of the population enters university, and less than one-third of those students are female. We believe that educating young women is simply the wisest and most effective investment a developing country can make.
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising female leaders from Rwanda and Burundi for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Akilah will graduate 1,000 students by the year 2020. In 2015, Akilah will enroll a total over 500 students on two campuses. Our hands-on and project-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local private sector. Students start with a foundational year of English, math and leadership immersion before choosing a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems (IS), or Hospitality Management. Students graduate with the market-relevant skills required for meaningful employment in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
Akilah is searching for an energetic candidate for the position of Hospitality Management Instructor. Reporting to the Academic Director, the Hospitality Management Lecturer will play a lead role in ensuring smooth and effective delivery of the Hospitality Management curriculum. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative teacher.
- Deliver Food and Beverage Management, Hotel property management and other Tourism related courses to Akilah students
- Invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams and practical training exams
- Collaborate with Akilah Career Development Manager to reach out to key partners for hands on training opportunities for students
- Deliver all classes in compliance with Akilah’s learning pedagogy
- Provide students with objective and timely feedback
- Update all necessary academic records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations
- Prepare required reports on students and activities
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah rules and procedures
- Perform other duties including but not limited to counseling students with academic challenges and providing student encouragement
Career Growth and Development
Akilah invests in significant professional development opportunities for all team members. Due to rapid growth of the organization, we regularly have new roles opening up and there are many opportunities for career development and growth.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of experience in a teaching/training hospitality industry
- Masters degree in Hospitality Management or related field
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and databases
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines
Deadline to apply: February 15
Rwandan Nationals Only