Position: Information Systems Instructor
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Reports to: Principal
The future of peace and stability in East Africa lies in the hands of young women who have the leadership skills and wisdom to create jobs and build businesses that will lift their communities out of poverty. In East Africa, 85% of women work in subsistence agriculture, living on less than $2 per day. Furthermore, only 1% of the population enters university, and less than one-third of those students are female. We believe that educating young women is simply the wisest and most effective investment a developing country can make.
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising female leaders from Rwanda and Burundi for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Akilah will graduate 1,000 students by the year 2020. In 2015, Akilah will enroll a total over 500 students on two campuses. Our hands-on and project-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local private sector. Students start with a foundational year of English, math and leadership immersion before choosing a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems (IS), or Hospitality Management. Students graduate with the market-relevant skills required for meaningful employment in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
Akilah is searching for an energetic candidate for the position of Information Technology Instructor (IT)/Math instructor. This individual will be responsible for teaching IT and math courses at Akilah Burundi campus. Math curriculum will be concentrated in the students Foundation Year. Students take IT classes throughout all 3 years of the program.
- Deliver IS classes to Akilah learners.
- write lesson plans using online and offline sources.
- Invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams
- Supervise use of computer based learning modules
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback
- Prepare required reports on students and activities
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah rules and procedures
- Perform other duties including but not limited to counseling students with academic challenged and providing student encouragement
- Assist in staff training on the use of information systems.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching or training experience
- Masters or Bachelors degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft office, databases, Programming, networking and troubleshooting for hardware and software
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Comfortable including visual, auditory and kinesthetic components into the classroom
- Willing to engage students in many methods of instruction – individual and team based learning, small groups and large groups, etc
- Ability to adapt curriculum for cultural and situational relevance
- Understanding of the ICT industry in Rwanda, Burundi, East Africa and internationally
- Ability to set the strategy for a new program and incorporate evolving industry needs
- CISCO certification is an added advantage
How to apply:
- Please apply by using the Apply Now button below.
- Transcripts are requirement for this position. Please be prepared to upload them in PDF format when applying.
Deadline to apply: October 15