Information Systems (IS) Program Manager
Akilah’s third diploma program, Information Systems, was launched in 2014. We are searching for an innovative and dynamic candidate for the position of IS Program Manager (IPM). This individual will be responsible for curriculum design, coordinating part time instructors, program implementation, periodic instruction, building partnerships and ensuring the diploma program prepares students for success in the East African context. This is a unique opportunity for an innovative and passionate educator and leader, as the curriculum will be replicated in other Akilah sites in future years.
Reporting to the Academic Director, the IPM will play an integral role as a member of the academic team. S/he provides pedagogical leadership for the program along with providing vision and guidance on the content and direction of the program. In addition, the IPM will play a lead role in building, maintaining and growing relationships with Akilah’s current and future academic and community partners. The IPM will seek and incorporate curriculum feedback from the private sector, secure relationships with local businesses for case studies, site visits, etc., maintain the pipeline for guest lecturers of courses, teach 2-3 courses (blocks) per year and assist with other administrative items related to the program. This work will support the IS program in both the Kigali and expansion to the future campuses. The IS program is new and evolving. It will need to be flexible and responsive to industry needs. Therefore, candidates should be interested in working in a dynamic environment of a growing institution.
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for the development of the new Information Systems track
- Work closely with Chief Academic Officer (CAO), Academic Director and Country Director to support professional development of any faculty working with students in the program
- Develop and maintain IS curriculum in partnership with the CAO
- Deliver 2-3 IS classes to Akilah students per year
- Build a network of guest lecturers for courses and manage their hiring and support in partnership with the Principal
- Support and implement the student M&E process and use results to strengthen the academic program
- Enhance the practical applications aspect of the program with teaching modules and materials that ensure the a highly innovative learning environment for students
- Run the IT club on campus that encourages IS students to learn more about computer, mobile phone applications, programming, etc.
- Assist with grant writing and report writing, as requested
- Work with Admissions department to on strategies for recruitment and procedures for identifying highly qualified candidates for the program
- Provide a visible community presence for the Akilah IS major
- Develop special events, campus activities, etc to enhance student learning
- Stay abreast of trends in the industry and use this to maintain curriculum relevance and increase staff knowledge for high quality student support
- Support funding of the program through meetings with donors, contributing to grant reports and hosting visitors on campus
- Assist with expansion of the program into new communities where Akilah campuses are located
- Oversee summer interns in development of case studies and curriculum work
- Oversee routine administrative duties related to the development of the program
- 5-7 years experience in the ICT field
- Demonstrated track record in developing and launching entrepreneurship education program
- Ability to write innovative lesson plans using a variety of resources
- Master’s Degree preferred or significant experience in the ICT industry
- Ability to set the strategy for a new program and incorporate evolving industry needs
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft office, databases, networking, programming and troubleshooting for hardware and software
- Willingness to travel
- Knowledge of East Africa Community ICT environment
- Willingness to commit to a minimum of 2 years in this position.