Position: Information Technology and Math Instructor
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Reports to: Academic Director
The future of peace and stability in East Africa lies in the hands of young women who have the leadership skills and wisdom to create jobs and build businesses that will lift their communities out of poverty. In East Africa, 85% of women work in subsistence agriculture, living on less than $2 per day. Furthermore, only 1% of the population enters university, and less than one-third of those students are female. We believe that educating young women is simply the wisest and most effective investment a developing country can make.
The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together the most promising female leaders from Rwanda and Burundi for an innovative three-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles. Akilah will graduate 1,000 students by the year 2020. In 2015, Akilah will enroll a total over 500 students on two campuses. Our hands-on and project-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local private sector. Students start with a foundational year of English, math and leadership immersion before choosing a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems (IS), or Hospitality Management. Students graduate with the market-relevant skills required for meaningful employment in the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
Akilah is searching for an energetic candidate for the position of Information Technology Instructor (IT)/Math instructor. This individual will be responsible for teaching IT and math courses at Akilah Burundi campus. Math curriculum will be concentrated in the students Foundation Year. Students take IT classes throughout all 3 years of the program.
- Deliver IT classes to Akilah learners and business math classes to Foundation Year students.
- Invigilate and assess weekly and monthly exams
- Supervise use of computer based learning modules
- Provide students with objective and well-timed feedback
- Prepare required reports on students and activities
- Manage student behavior and discipline by establishing and enforcing Akilah rules and procedures
- Perform other duties including but not limited to counseling students with academic challenged and providing student encouragement
- Assist in staff training on the use of information systems.
- Assist in Trouble shooting problems with hardware and software in computer lab(s).
- Make necessary recommendations to the management regarding improvements to the overall IT Akilah environment
- Assist in installation of new software and hardware
- Perform regular software updates and other maintenance activities for all information systems.
- Monitors internet usage and costs while using educational systems.
- 2-3years of experience in a teaching/training position
- Master’s Degree preferred- in Computer Sciences and related fields
- Experience in software and hardware installation, maintenance and repair
- Demonstrated passion for working with young women, empowering them through education, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a commitment to the mission of Akilah
- Excitement about working in a vibrant and evolving start-up environment
- Extraordinarily resilient, positive and pro-active character
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- An engaging and collaborative leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to juggle and manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.