The Akilah Careers and Alumnae Affairs Manager (CAAM) will play a critical role in serving as the bridge to students’ future career paths by proactively engaging the Rwanda private sector and building relevant partnerships for internship and employment opportunities. The ideal candidate will have a strategic mind, think critically, be a capable and results-oriented manager of a “pavement pounding” team, and obsessed with social networking and relationship management. This is a job where the details matter, and will require a personal investment by the Director to ensure relationships are properly catalogued and maintained. S/he must be extremely deft at identifying value propositions for why new industries and companies should hire Akilah graduates. S/he must also work effectively with academic and communications departments to ensure messaging is laser-focused and consistent.
- Manage and expand Akilah’s partnership base and pipeline by crafting and implementing a comprehensive partnership strategy for Akilah.
- In collaboration with the Careers team, develop careers workshops content, tools and systems (manual, forms) to ensure a streamlined provision of careers services throughout the program duration at Akilah
- Cultivate, strengthen, and expand Government and Corporate partnerships to ensure a minimum of 80 percent job placement and 100% internship placement for Akilah students and graduates.
- Spearhead a comprehensive feedback loop with partners. Collaborate with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to develop the analytical tools to assess graduate’s performance once they are placed into jobs and internships. Communicate effectively with the Country Director and Academic team to integrate feedback into the curriculum
- Manage the schedule and implementation of the Careers committee and lead all relevant work that results from meetings
- Serve as critical thought partner to the Country Director and leadership team in the US. Provide sound counsel, demonstrate fidelity to the vision, and exercise judgment in sensitive situations.
- Work in close proximity to the Communications and Marketing team to ensure clear, consistent and powerful messaging with partners.
- Leverage community, private sector, government conferences and events to build strategic partnerships. Identify ways to showcase Akilah’s students’ hands-on learning work–in order to engage current and prospective partners more deeply. Create recruiting events and activities that will bring corporate partners and student together a few times a year.
- Work effectively with colleagues across the growing Akilah global network to share information, resources, and leads to support the Careers and Alumnae Department. Help to manage relationships effectively and strategically.
- Create an alumni strategy to maintain ongoing relationships with Akilah’s graduates. Devise engagement strategies that will best leverage the Alumnae Association.
- Oversee the planning and control of the budget for Career development and partnerships; within the Career Development and partnerships budget, manage existing and or additional programs, services and communications.
- Work in collaboration with the M&E Specialist for the identification of data points and monitoring processes for the Careers and Alumnae Affairs Department. Oversee internal and external reporting.
- Collaborate with Akilah Net and other upcoming internal projects to sustain organizational growth of Akilah Group.
CHARACTERISTICS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Achievement oriented, comfort operating in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with accountability to results.
- Ability to effectively lead a team directly as well as earn trust and accountability from colleagues on other teams; collaborative approach to decision-making
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation and written skills.
- Has a deep understanding of the growing Rwandan labor market and is well networked with the private sector to help identify suitable job opportunities for Akilah students.
- Ability to model Akilah’s core principles.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in sales, partnership building, relationship management, or business development. Private, public, and non-profit backgrounds are all valued. The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.
- Position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally if required.
- The Country Director.
APPLICATION DEADLINE:November 1 , 2016
Ready to join our team? Visit MindSky East Africa’s members-only talent marketplace to apply!