The Akilah Institute for Women aims to build future generations of women leaders and professionals in East Africa through the development of a network of campuses. At Akilah, we bring together promising female leaders from Rwanda, and East Africa, for an innovative two-year program that prepares them for professional careers and leadership roles.
Akilah students choose a specialized track in Entrepreneurship, Information Systems, or Hospitality Management. Our hands-on and practicals-based curriculum is developed in partnership with the local and global private sectors, and is focused on building the market-relevant skills demanded by the fastest growing industries of the regional economy.
The Akilah Projects Manager (APM) will work closely with the Country Director (CD) to ensure that key projects are completed successfully and department objectives and planned outcomes are consistently met in an efficient and timely manner. The APM will both assess and report to the Country Director on the progress of projects assigned to him/her, including challenges that arise and recommendations on how to tackle them.
The ideal individual should be able to juggles multiple projects and still hit all deadlines and targets. S/he must have absolute attention to details and enjoy working within a fast paced and rapidly growing environment that is mission-driven and results-oriented. S/he should bring a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with the CD, keeping her in the loop on multiple concurrent projects within a number of departments.
Reports to: Country Director
- Provide project management support to various departments as needed, in line with their key results to ensure institutional objectives are accomplished on time, within scope and within budget, including responses to challenges that arise.
- Work with the CD and department heads to develop annual objectives and key results (OKRs), work strategies and budgets, and provide support in tracking departmental key results on a regular basis.
- Use appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope and schedule.
- Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques. Provide timely/regular reports and briefings to the CD on status of projects, challenges and recommendations.
- Collaborate with relevant departments on cross-cutting campus projects and initiatives.
- Offer direct support to the Careers team (Talent Advocates), providing project management training and support to ensure effective completion of daily tasks, goals, and key results.
Administration and Operations
- Manage the Itorero Program and other GoR initiatives/programs at Akilah in alignment with guidelines, requirements and agreed performance contracts.
- Represent Akilah at external facing events and meetings as needed.
- Work closely with the HR and Finance office to anticipate campus needs related to staff, resources and students; proactively build strategies around such needs; and troubleshoot resourcefully.
- Perform any other projects assigned by the CD.
- Motivated, proactive, self-directed problem solver; must be comfortable with shifting roles and responsibilities – someone who does what it takes to get the job done.
- Excellent project management skills demonstrated by the ability to research, plan and execute projects with effectiveness and high level of accountability.
- Highly organized with attention to details, able to set priorities and manage multiple tasks at once.
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills coupled with the ability to quickly learn from the team to gain a strong understanding of their departmental goals, challenges and accomplishments.
- Forward-looking thinker, ability to think out-of-the-box and 10 steps ahead to anticipate needs and stay on top of things.
- Flexibility and adaptability for change, all while executing every essential item of an ever-growing list of actionable duties.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution related to Project Management, Business Administration or related degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in project management or corporate administration. Private, public, and nonprofit backgrounds are all valued. The ideal candidate will have succeeded in a high-performing organization and be eager to apply best practices.
Position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Local hire preferred. Must be able to travel both domestically and internationally if required.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.