The Akilah Institute is seeking a Writer/Content Creator to report on and share news about Akilah’s students, alumnae, partners, and faculty/staff. The Akilah Institute is Rwanda’s only college for women.
The Writer/Content Creator is responsible for gathering, producing, and disseminating all campus communications. He or she will also serve as the primary liaison between Akilah and the local media.
This position is ideal for professionals with a background in journalism and communications and a demonstrated interest in women’s education. It is based in Kigali, Rwanda. The Writer/Content Creator reports to the Director of Communications.
Produce cross-platform content
- Produce content for the Akilah blog and website: write success stories; campus news; and profiles of students, alumnae, and staff. Package stories with photos, quotes, and video footage.
- Capture and produce multi-use content (including interviews, photos, and videos) for external reports, donor communications, alumnae outreach, annual reports, etc.
- Social media: produce and package content for social media
- Provide content for Akilah’s bi-weekly campus newsletter
- Attend and report on all student-related events (this will require some after-hours work)
- Maintain a monthly calendar of events (both on and off campus)
Establish and maintain strong external relations
- Act as a point of contact for all on-campus press and media requests
- Build and maintain partnerships with local media organizations, the private sector, government institutions, etc.
- Provide general ad hoc communications support on campus
- Provide peer support and advise external relations staff
Support Recruitment & Admissions in messaging
- Produce recruitment-specific content and include recruitment messaging in external communication whenever appropriate
Support Comms Team in meeting targets and executing strategies
- Check-in with Comms Director twice weekly for updates and inputs
- Provide all comms material and content to Comms Director and Head of Creative by pre-set deadlines
- Keep Comms Team updated on the latest news and initiatives on the ground in Kigali
- Minimum four years of experience in writing and reporting; published work is a must
- Photography and video experience a definite plus
- Fluency in digital technologies and full computer literacy with Google Drive and Docs
- Strong writing skills
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Organization and prioritization skills; attention to detail is critical
- Willingness to work in an “all hands on deck” environment and engage in a variety of tasks
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Demonstrated interest in women’s education and living/working in Kigali, Rwanda
The deadline to apply for this position is May 15, 2017.